Monday, January 28, 2013

ICE FISHING IN DIXIE

A brief ice fishing season in Dixie.
Technically, any place below the Mason Dixon Line is supposed to be the 'south' portion of the eastern half of the nation. At least that was the story back in the Civil War times. You might call it Dixie. I'm about 4 miles south of the border, and we get 'safe' ice about every 4-5 years, or less. So...I spent my entire ice fishing season, one day, at a local pond that locked up with a recent cold snap and put 4 inches of clear ice on the pond. We were out for bluegills, but had to settle for those darned ole green fish...largemouth bass! Hey...something was biting!
Kastmaster spoons did the bass in.

Hooked right at the top of the mouth.

Not huge but, hey, I'll take some ice action!
My carp buddy Bob and I had fun. Didn't kill the fish, but we had some action, which is better than sitting home taking a nap every Sunday after church. I went 4 for 5 on strikes with 4 bass from 14 to 17 inches long and lost a near five pounder right at the hole. Awwwwuggghh! Dang....the big girl came off just as I was going to give her the flip out of the hole. She just hovered motionless inches below the clear ice, in the clear water...as if to say 'hey, check me out. I'm the one that got away!' I watched as she slowly drifted back into the inky darkness.
The 14 to 17 inchers were healthy!

Icy bass...cool!


Fun on 2 pound line!
We caught these fish in about 5 1/2 feet of water on 1/10th ounce gold Kastmaster spoons tipped with a mealworm for a teaser. I was using 2 pound SOS mono and Bob upped it to 4 pound test on his. He had two good strikes, including a big fish that took some drag, but came off before we could get a sighting. The only difference between he and I was that I was using a sensitive wire strike indicator. We were after bluegills, but they never came around.
Back we go!

No, Bob...there are no carp in this lake.
Just the week before, the Mason Dixon weather was mild with 50 degree temps. With that, Bob was still doing the carp thing at the local Carp Mart, with fish up close to 20 pounds. He even let me reel one in...
Bob felt bad for me, let me reel in this nice carp a week earlier.

Bob with one of many of his January carp. When it warms up, he'll be back.

Freedom!
The temperature are supposed to rise up to 60 on Wednesday, and what little safe-ice we have will no longer be safe. Have to head north for more hardwater action and maybe load up on gills and perch. Are more fish frys a comin'? We'll see...

You know, I was reading in Psalms tonight and as Psalm 49:20 points out...'A man who has riches without understanding is like the beasts that perish'. In other words, we can have it all...cars, homes, big bank accounts and the latest fishing gear. But if we do not have the word of God, in our hearts, then we perish like an animal. In verse 13, it points out that 'This is the fate of those who trust in themselves'. When I have trusted in my own percieved wisdom, I have failed. When I seek God's Word through the Holy Scriptures, I get blessed. Even when my prayers are not answered the way I want them to be, I am still blessed. I will not perish like the beasts. THANK YOU LORD!





No comments:

Post a Comment